Christopher Wong Hong Wai （黄枫伟）holds the qualification of LL.B. from the University of Hull and was admitted as a Barrister-at-Law of Gray’s Inn, London. Called to the Malaysian Bar in 1994, he later joined Messrs Cheang & Ariff in 1997 as a legal assistant and was made partner in 2001.He joined Chur Associates in May 2018 and he is a senior consultant of the firm.
Christopher began as a dispute resolution lawyer covering all aspects of general litigation including banking, defamation, family, corporate and taking conduct of interlocutory hearings, full trials and appeals at all levels of the Malaysian court hierarchical structure.
His present area of expertise includes advising on a broad range of private and corporate loans, syndicated loans and securitisation documents for commercial lenders as well as investment banks. He also specialises in conveyance of real estate and corporate equity, mergers & acquisitions, corporate restructuring, investment advisory, contract negotiations and joint ventures, for both local and foreign clients.
He has, throughout his practice, advised various bodies/corporations, including Pengurusan Danaharta Nasional Berhad (as it was then), NV Multi Corporation Berhad (Malaysia), PT Indonesia Minerals Development (Indonesia), Lum Chang Group (Singapore), KT Pacific Group (Cambodia), PKT Logistics Group (Malaysia); and financial institutions like Bank of China (Malaysia) Berhad, ICBC Bank (Malaysia) Berhad and Al-Rajhi Bank Berhad.
Christopher is a regular member of the Investigating Tribunal in the Advocates & Solicitors Disciplinary Board, and has sat as the Chairman on a few disciplinary hearings. He has also recently been promoted as the Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee Panel of the Advocates & Solicitors Disciplinary Board.
Other notable appointments include:-
- Main adviser to the International Bank Malaysia Berhad on the national level merger exercise with Multi-Purpose Bank Berhad (now known as Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad) (2001);
- Advising & setting up the compliance structure for Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Berhad in relation to the Anti-Money Laundering Act 2001 (2002);
- Principal adviser on the reorganisation and restructuring of the NAZA Group of Companies (ongoing); and
- Advising the National Planning & Development Agency (BAPPENAS) of Indonesia on the proposed restructuring and rescheduling of its external debt to the World Bank Group (ongoing)
SPECIFIC ARE OF EXPERTISE
- Banking and Finance;
- Conveyance of Realty and Corporate Equity;
- Joint Ventures;
- Housing Developers Project Work;
- Restructuring and Settlement of Danaharta Loans;
- Foreign Investment Advisory; and
- Corporate & Commercial Work and Advisory.
- Advising and drafting of banking legal documentation for personal and corporate loans as well as syndicated loans, including security documents (principal, secondary and supplementary documentation) for loans granted by commercial and merchant bankers.
- Advising, negotiating and drafting of conveyance documents, sale and purchase documentation and related subsidiary documents for sale and purchase of real estate, sale and purchase of shares in corporate entities and the like, including preparing applications to governmental agencies, land registries and regulatory authority for necessary exemptions, approvals and clearances.
- Advising, negotiating and drafting of joint venture arrangements between local corporate entities, as well as foreign corporate entities, including but not limited to dealing and liasing with governmental agencies and regulatory authority for necessary licenses, approvals and consents.
- Advising and attending to property developers, including the negotiations and the setting up of the relevant documentation for conveyance and bridging financing, as well as to dealing and liasing with governmental agencies and regulatory authority for necessary licenses, approvals and consents.
- Advising, negotiating and drafting of legal and security documentation for NPL loans acquired by Pengurusan Danaharta Nasional Berhad (now Prokhas Sdn Bhd) approved for restructuring and settlement.
- Advising on and preparing applications to the Foreign Investment Committee, Bank Negara Malaysia, Ministry of International Trade, Immigration Department and other regulatory authorities for the approvals and licenses relating to foreign investments.
Professional Membership, Appointments, Awards & Other Accolades
- Chief Operating Officer, Malaysia Book of Records
- Notary Public (Federal Territory), Attorney General’s Chambers of Malaysia
- Trustee Member, Board of Trustee, WWF-Malaysia
- Member, Bar Council Malaysia
- Member, Disciplinary Committee Panel of the Advocates & Solicitors Disciplinary Board
- Honoray Legal Advisor to Federation of Heng Ann Association, Malaysia
- Principal Legal Consultant to Myanmar Chamber of Commerce (Malaysia)
- Legal Advisor to the United World of Chinese Association (Malaysia)
- BrandLaureate Winner – BrandLaureate Corporate Branding for Best Brands in Services (Litigation & Corporate Advisory)
- Award Winner – Passion & Commitment Leadership Award
- Author, “Loke Mansion : Carrying on a Legacy”
- Secretary-General (EXCO), Malaysia Kendo Association
- Malaysia National Kendo Team Member:
- World Kendo Championships 2000 (Santa Clara, USA)
- World Kendo Championships 2003 (Glasgow, UK)
- World Kendo Championships 2006 (Taipei, ROC)
- World Kendo Championships 2009 (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- World Kendo Championships 2012 (Novarra, Italy)
- World Kendo Championships 2016 (Tokyo, Japan)
- ASEAN Kendo Tournament 2001 (Singapore)
- ASEAN Kendo Tournament 2004 (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- ASEAN Kendo Tournament 2007 (Bangkok, Thailand)
- ASEAN Kendo Tournament 2010 (Singapore)
Christopher as part of CA, he believes in these CAlture:-