Mr A leaves his family in Bangladesh to seek for a better job opportunity in Malaysia. After years of hard works, he bought a property in Malaysia but before he could return to Bangladesh, he got involved in an accident and passed away. His family in Bangladesh was told that they do not have the rights or powers to administer Mr A’s property in Malaysia.


Pursuant to Order 71 Rule 26 of Rules of Court 2012, where a person who is entitled to the deceased’s property resides outside Malaysia such as wife or children, they may appoint an Attorney by way of Power of Attorney for the administration of Mr A’s estate.
Thus, Mr A’s family can appoint solicitors in Malaysia to apply to the court for a grant in order to administer Mr A’s property in Malaysia through the said Attorney.

So, how much did you know about this Legal Myth?

Share with us your thoughts and feedback to us. Ask us a question on AskCA@Thursday or suggest a Myth Buster for us.